African Peanut Soup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli deseeded and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks about 200g
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1-2tsp Ras el hanout, to taste
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 75g smooth peanut butter
- 30g baby spinach leaves
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 30g roasted unsalted peanuts, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion, celery, garlic and chilli for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the coriander leaves and spinach and stir well. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Blend the soup with a hand held blender or pour into a blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour back into a clean pan. If too thick thin with a little water or vegetable stock. Add the spinach leaves and warm through stirring until the spinach has wilted. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped peanuts and fresh coriander.
Nutritional per serving
421kcal, fat 30g of which saturates 16.9g, carbohydrates 24.4g, sugars 14.2g, protein 9.6g, salt 0.8g